Saturday, August 4, 2012

And The Gold Medal Goes To....

OMG first can we just talk about how obsessed with the Olympics I am?  Are you guys too?  I don't know what it is about them but I'm hooked.  All day every day- glued to the TV.  I mean we all watch the obvious sports.  But me?  Canoeing?  Absolutely. Fencing?  Sure thing.  Hand ball?  Just for the name itself, you KNOW I'm watching that shit.  I'm just fascinated by these athletes.  I have to say that this time around my favorite ones to watch are the water sports- swimming and diving.  Good lord those guy have sick bodies.  Sick!  I cannot confirm or deny that I have fantasies about their abs.  Talk about 50 Shades of Six Packs.  Oooooooohhhhhweeeeeee!

But back to the point of the story.  If they had an amateur sport of light changing- I'm pretty sure that I'd kick ass.  Not only did I change out my dining and kitchen lights to ones I made myself but I also changed my bathrooms vanity lights recently.  This time around was the light outside in my screened in porch.  The one that is out there is hideous.  Muy cheapo.  As in when I was looking for lights in Lowe's the one that I currently have is listed for $4.97.  No lie.  See the below shots.  Hideous, right?  And way too small.




Well last week I had some family in town and while they were here we went all over the place shopping.  While they were browsing around I headed over to the outdoor lighting area.  And I found exactly what I was looking for.  I set two goals for myself when buying a new light for this area.  It had to be the right size and had to be inexpensive.  My standard for "inexpensive" was not for it to be cheap like under $5 like the one before.  But I definitely didn't want to pay $50 for it either.  Which I could definitely have done with all of the pretty lights that were there.



While the above light is way too small, I couldn't go too big because as you can see it's right in the path between the two doors.  When you come out the kitchen sliders you immediately turn to go out the screen door.  So it can't jut out too far as I don't want to have it get knocked into.  I wasn't too particular on the metal finish- could go with chrome, brushed nickel or black wrought iron.  As long as it wasn't brass I was fine with whatever tickled my fancy.

There were a couple of cool industrial looking lights that I liked but they had exposed bulbs and I wasn't sure how I felt about that so I passed on those.  But something like this- they had with or without the grate.  This one wasn't in the store and I kind of like it actually.  But....... oh well.


Then there were a couple of lantern looking ones that I liked as well.  But I felt they were too boxy for that space.


The one that I chose is below.  Simple.  Curvy.  Not brass.  But what I loved about it was the seeded glass globe.  And it was under $20.  Score!


It was funny because when we got home I took it out of the box to inspect it and make sure there wasn't anything broken.  When I was done I just left it on the table out of the box.  My aunt was getting all nervous with it out like that and started to put it back in the box.  I told her it was OK to leave it out since I'd probably be installing it within the next day or two.  She was like, "You're not going to install it YOURSELF, are you?"  She must not know about the pink toolbelt.  I did my best not to laugh but was like- of course I'm going to install it myself.  Duh.  Who do you think installed all the lights in the house?  She thought I was going to wait until my dad came out next time for him to put it up.  I won't lie, I do have a never ending list of projects for my dad to do when he gets here humongous paver patio anyone???  so it's not like I'm the only person who does projects in my house.  But after learning how to do something one time by watching him, I'm pretty much OK on my own after that.  What's the worst that can happen?  I always turn off the circuit breaker so it's not like I am going to electrocute myself.  While he leaves the power on- I'm not that daring.  Plus the smell of burnt flesh makes me gag.  

So here is what it looks like out there now!!





Do you like?  I do!!  See the seeded glass two pictures above?  Like little air bubbles inside of the glass.  Just a little bit of detail to make this light have some character.  Have you changed in your houses lately?  Even the smallest and most simple thing can make a difference.  It doesn't always have to be something big and expensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Only comment if you are going to tell me how awesome I am. If you don't, I will hunt you down and cut a bitch.