Tuesday, October 22, 2013

DIY Artwork Gone Wrong

Wow- has it really been over a month since I've last posted?  Clearly, I haven't been busy at all.  Wink.  Ugh once football season starts, all hell breaks loose and when I finally have a day off I'm more prone to become a sloth on my couch who doesn't shower, brush her teeth or hair and definitely doesn't shave her legs.  I don't have time for anything with the letters d, i or y.  Never mind blogging about my lack of diy.  Slothness takes priority.

And now that I've gone and told you I haven't shaved my legs, I figure I better warn you that I just popped some Dayquil.  So it's very possible that by the time you get to the end of this post, I'll probably be drooling on myself.

So back to the art gone wrong.  Remember when I took some lyrics from a rap song and turned it into awful artwork and tried to pretend that I liked it?  Well.....umm......soooo..... I never liked it.  One bit.  Now don't get me wrong.  I'm ALL ABOUT the DIY.  But when it looks DIY I'm not all about it.  The canvas was super cheesy and not in a good way.  It's been hung in the upstairs living room for months now and every time I go up there I cringe.  I finally decided to do something about it last weekend.
I headed to Michaels to pick up some more craft paint and was very excited to see they were 4/$2- score!  I grabbed the 4 colors that I needed and headed home.  I immediately yanked the canvas off the wall and found my blue painters tape and got to work on my kitchen floor.


Just those 2 areas done and it's already such an improvement.  But by the time I was finished it now looks like this:



Had terrible lighting up there tonight since it's rainy and cloudy.  But the colors are the same as the other striped artwork up there behind the couch.


So they are kind of matchy matchy but not really.  I mean, anything is better than the gold, right?  Can I get an Amen?


Oh and you might notice that I changed out the lamps up here.  I originally had these:


They didn't go well up here.  I even tried to desperately give them away during my garage sale last year to no avail so they went back upstairs.  I've been looking for new lamps for quite some time now but didn't want to pay $50+ per lamp for a room that rarely gets used.  So I've held out.  Until the other day when I stopped into Target to pick up some band-aids and found myself in the lighting section.  I have no idea how that happened.  They had a bunch of their Threshold items on clearance and lo and behold I found these glass ombre lamps for $14.  They didn't come with a shade so I'm currently using the same shades that were on the above lamps.  But they fit the space better and have more color to them than the blah boring pewter ones.



They are a perfect match to the aqua in the room.  And did I mention they were $14 each?  Wait- can we talk about my purple glittery pumpkin for a minute?  How fabulous is that?  I've got matching black ones on my dining table for Halloween.  But we'll talk about those decorations tomorrow.

So anything that you guys have DIY'ed that you later absolutely hated and found a way to tweak it to better fit the space?  So glad I didn't just trash the canvas.  Because $2 worth of craft paint definitely made it look a hell of a lot better.  But if I've come out with a lesson in all of this- it's that I should let the rap lyrics stay on the radio.  I don't pull off gangsta very well.  It's funny cuz when the very white neighbor kid drives up my street with his car thumping and rattling to the beat of some Kanye song I always yell to him that this isn't that kind of neighborhood and he rolls his eyes at Mrs. Robinson me, I have come to realize that apparently my house isn't that kind of house.  Hip hop will stay on my iPod from now on.  I will however, find a way to bring in some Mumford & Sons or Snow Patrol lyrics eventually.  I bet my house could handle that a little better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Only comment if you are going to tell me how awesome I am. If you don't, I will hunt you down and cut a bitch.