Monday, April 10, 2017

The 19 Year Old's Bedroom Part 2

So this past weekend we got back up to Emily's new apartment to deliver her dresser and side table for her bedroom.  Once we found out she was getting the apartment, I started scouring Craigslist for inexpensive furniture.  I definitely wanted something wood and solid.  Not some cheap thing that would fall apart on her in a year or two.

She decided that she wanted a low dresser and since we didn't know how big her closet would be, we wanted to get her something with good storage in it.  After about a week's worth of searching and many emails back and forth with listers, we found one that I liked- as in it was sold wood and it wasn't a lot of money (since I knew we'd be painting it) and one that Emily liked as well.  Let's be honest, she was way less picky than I was.


Ummmm $50 make you holla?  Very plain, not ornate, and simple.  Just what we wanted.  The knobs weren't anything to write home about but the dresser itself?  Very nice.  And it came with a side table?  Not a nightstand but at least it had a drawer and a shelf.  Here they are in my garage ready to get sanded.




Emily had said in the beginning of this process that she wanted to help with everything so we made her help!  She got cleaning duty before the paint went on.  Sanding leaves a LOT of dust and the drawers needed to be thoroughly cleaned so the paint wouldn't peel off later on.




We let Emily pick out the paint color- seeing as though it's her room and all.  As much as it pained me to not have control over that, she picked a really good color!  I'm not used to not being the one in control making the decisions since this really is the first time I've done a project that isn't for myself.  But I promised her and myself, that I would let her make all of the choices since it was her room.  The original color she picked was a little too bright so we ended up going back for a slightly darker teal.  As you can see below.  The first color is the bottom swatch and the chosen color is the top.  Just a bit darker.




I thought she would have gone a bit darker but once she saw the color on the dresser, she loved it.  It's interesting seeing someone choose color that isn't used to it.  For me, I walk in and know exactly what I am looking for and get a gallon.  But for Emily, she really hasn't done this kind of thing.  So we grabbed every sort of teal color we could find and compared, and compared, and compared them.  I showed her how some were more "bright" than others, while some were made darker by adding black to them. Some came out looking a little more navy blue and some had more green in them.   After standing around the kitchen island for a bit, she was like "So this is your thing, isn't it?"  Yes, girl.  It is.  HAH!

Once I put on the first coat, I was a little nervous that she wasn't going to like it.





And I only say that since in the inspiration pictures, the teal was much darker.  I kept asking her if she liked it and she kept saying YES so I kept putting coats on it.  Above are the first couple of coats.  The more true color is on the drawers.

The side table was getting to be a bitch painting inside the slats on the side and I was really starting to get discouraged with how badly it was looking.  There was no easy way to get in between them without having drips or pooling of paint.  I finally decided to do something about it and I didn't think Em would mind.  Nor did I ask her if I could.  Fingers crossed she was OK with it.



I got out my Dremel and get rid of those pieces.  Not only does it look so much better but it's also much more simple- which I believe is what we were going for to begin with.  The slats gave it a country vibe and I can guarantee she didn't want THAT for her room.


So much better.  After I did that, I painted two more coats of paint onto both pieces.  In all there are 5 coats of paint on them.  Even with priming, they sucked up the paint on the first couple coats and since this color is so deep and saturated, you could see even the slightest difference in color.  So in order to get a really good and even coverage, the 5 coats were necessary.  Below is a more true to color picture of the drawers- without the hideous knobs that came with them.


So now onto the knobs we got.  Emily found some really really cute knobs at World Market.  They were a white ceramic with a rose gold design on the top.  They were adorable.  They were $3.99 each.  Let me repeat that- they were $3.99 each.  Did you see how many knobs she needed for this dresser?  See the original photo above.  SIXTEEN of them.  We're talking roughly $64 for knobs.  That's more than we paid for the dresser AND the side table.  I knew that I had just seen a ton of knobs at TJ Maxx a couple of days before so I "convinced" her to go shopping with me to "look for curtains" for the room.  While the entire time, I had ulterior motives.  So we headed to TJ.  Up and down the aisles she, Hot Toddy, and I went looking for decor and "curtains."  She stumbled upon the knobs first and I played it off like, "Wow! Look at THOSE Emily!  They've got knobs!"  I'm pretty sure she was onto me at that point, but let's see what we found.  Literally the EXACT same knobs that she had found at World Market but instead of the tops being rose gold, they were regular gold- which all of the decor we had purchased up to that point was.  And a set of 4 was $4.99!  What?!?!


We lucked out because they had two sets of the 4.  So that took care of the top two drawers.  Now we had to find another 8 knobs for the bottom drawers.  We lucked out again, because we found a jar of 12 knobs that were different but would coordinate so damn well!  The jar of 12 was $14.99.  So even with more than we needed, we paid roughly $25 for everything.  Much better than $64!


Now that we had the knobs picked out and the dresser done, it was time to put them together.  Unfortunately, I couldn't sneak a peek and see how good/bad they looked because she had the knobs up at her apartment while the dresser was with me. So we both got to see it at the same time together and we both agree....... we LOVE THEM!!!





Now onto the side table.  The original drawer hardware was not what we were looking for.  It also had two prongs screwed into the wood.  Ugh.  Nothing a little wood filler wouldn't fix.  Sanded down, you couldn't even tell there were originally two holes in the drawer.  We ended up bringing the stuff up to her apartment and drilled the hole there.  And by we, I mean we made Emily drill the hole.  She was very nervous.  She'd never used a drill before.  But she did a fantastic job.


We used one of the leftover knobs on this as well.



Emily's reaction?  She LOVES THEM!!!!!  That's really all that matters but just in case you were wondering, so do her dad and I!!

Her room is starting to come together.  Not sure if I shared this in the first post or not, but we are building her a bed.  From scratch.  Well when we brought the dresser and side table up last weekend, we started on the bed.  I'm hoping to have it finished next Sunday for her.  Then it's decorating time! She's getting really antsy to get all of the really cool stuff we've got up onto her walls.  But she's holding out until the bed is finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Only comment if you are going to tell me how awesome I am. If you don't, I will hunt you down and cut a bitch.