A Little Privacy and A Little Veggies For The Backyard

Quick post for you on this Father's Day!  I kind of gave you a sneak peek of the latest project at the end of the sunroom reveal.


I picked up a fence panel from Menards a few weekends ago.  It's 6 ft high and 8 ft wide.  You can see it through the windows.  I am using it more as a privacy panel since behind it is the curve of the street and everyone going by just stares into my yard.  Sometimes a girl just wants to sit outside topless without all of her neighbors gawking at her.  Am I right?

Well I was driving to pick up my new patio set and thinking about finding some sort of privacy panel and I saw this image.


Exactly like what I wanted.  I saw a fence panel in Menards flyer that was on-sale.  Score for only having to DIY half of this project.  After I picked up the patio set, I went and grabbed the panel.  I've had it propped up between one of the couches and some planter boxes ever since.  Until this weekend.

I picked up cedar boards, 4 black Rubbermaid tubs, garden/veggie soil, and veggie plants and got to work.  On quite possibly the hottest two days ever recorded, I might add.  It. Was. Brutal.  But I got it done.

First was removing the planter boxes.


So this view is from the back, the couches are on the other side.  I'm standing on the curve side of the yard.  Then I built two rectangles using pressure treated 2 X 4's.



I used Rubbermaid tubs pretty much because I couldn't find planter box inserts that were rectangle other than window boxes and as you can see above- I needed much bigger than window box size.  I drilled holes in the bottom of the tubs and they are raised up off the ground by another 2 X 4 for drainage.  Then I started to attach the cedar boards.



I did both sides first, here you can see how nice it's starting to look.  I was beyond exhausted and drained at this point by the sun.  But I suffered on to get it done.


Isn't she pretty?  I am very happy with how it came out.  It really didn't take very long to cut all of the boards and attach them.  It was a very easy project- if not for the sun and heat.

Today I went to Lowe's to get veggie plants and soil.  I went to a couple stores yesterday and the selection was extremely disappointing.  Not sure if it's because we are really out of veggie planting season or if they just had a crappy selection.  But I was really hoping Lowe's had a better selection- which they did.  So I was very happy!

I grabbed a pot of zucchini, cucumbers, jalapenos, and tomatoes.  I also picked up a couple of trellis's for the cukes and zukes to grow up.  But I'll need to go grab a cage for the tomatoes.  This is what it looks like now!



I can see it outside of my kitchen window and it looks so nice!  Hopefully I get something to grow!  I guess we'll see.  I've about killed all of my flower plants and bushes over the years.  So there really is no guarantee on any of these.  But if I can get these to grow, I plan to do more raised veggie beds and then I'll just turn this into flowers next year.

The other good news- I FINALLY GOT APPROVAL FOR MY FENCE AND IT'S GETTING INSTALLED NEXT WEEKEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Guys- you have no @#$&^%&! idea how difficult of a process this was and how many times I bit my tongue and played nice throughout it all.  Especially when I wanted to go all Kristi-Bitch on them.  But they FINALLY approved it and you know I'll be showing pictures when it's done.  Oh, and I'll definitely do up a blog on how bullshit HOA's are and the crap they have put me through.

So anyone have any gardening tips for this rookie black thumb?  Who else is growing their own veggies?  For the first time or have you been doing it for a while now?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIY Mason Jar Oil Burner

Almost Finished Newly Renovated Kitchen....Almost

There Must Be Something About This Color