Sunroom Part 5... DECOR!

Well I finally have some time to sit down and do a blog.  Season has started, y'all.  So there is very little free time for me around the house right now.  Which stinks.  But boy, do I LOVE football season!

So last we chatted about the sunroom, I had all of the stuff done that turned it from a screen porch...


to a real sunroom....


Now came time to make it pretty.  And what is more pretty than pink?  Am I right?  

So you saw the rug in the last post.  I struggled with this decision because I really liked the other rug.  

It was really pretty in person, but just didn't go with everything else I had already purchased.  Did I return all of that for a rug and have to start over or just go with the other rug that really matched everything else already?  Plus I had just started re-doing the upstairs living room in a navy blue, so I didn't want this room to look too similar to the upstairs with the color scheme.  The other deciding factor was this room goes to the outside- which means dirt, mud, water, grass, snow- all getting tracked in.  I figured the other rug would mask or hide that better than this rug.  So decision made, I went with this one.  


And really, since this room is not that big, most of the rug is covered anyway.  

Last Oct/Nov I saw a fireplace that I wanted to put into the room.  If you remember, I didn't insulate this room.  Well it got COLD in the winter.  The plan is to really only use the fireplace when I am sitting in there.  I turned it on one day for about 15 minutes on a really low temp and it was shockingly warm in there.  I don't plan to sit in there in the winter.  It was intended to be a 3 season room.  So it's really more to take out the chill of a nice, cool fall night.  But maybe I'll see how it really is in the middle of winter with the fireplace.  

I went and got the fireplace, put it together, had it in the room, and then realized the floor had a lot of moisture on it... remember that story?  UGH.  So the fireplace ended up residing in the kitchen for a solid 3-4 months.  It was nice to finally get it back into the room once the windows were finished.  


I am still looking for a good sized basket to go into the two electronic component areas, since it's really supposed to house a tv on top.  But that is definitely NOT how I are using it.  Since this room is the room that goes to the outdoors, the baskets are currently housing newspapers for the fire pit.  Behind the two doors, I actually have my outdoor dinner caddy- salt/pepper, napkins, beer coozies, place mats and some fire starter.  Easy access for when I am outside, rather than having to go to the garage to grab things or kitchen.

Oh and you can see in the above picture that I installed window blinds.  They are CLUTCH.  This room gets sun starting around noon until the sun sets opposite the big wall of windows.  It keeps it a nice, balmy 95 degrees in the room.  It's bad.  I had started keeping the slider open with the fan in the breakfast nook on and the fan in the sunroom on.  It helped quite a bit.  But once that sun hit 3pm on all of those open windows, it just cooked it in there.  The blinds really keep it much cooler in there.

You can also kind of see where I went with the color scheme.  It looks like I pulled the lavender, pink, and cranberry/maroon from the rug out.  But everything was purchased prior to finding the rug.  It really worked out well.  I then picked up a cute wire basket from TJ to store the plush fur blankets in.

The intent was to purchase a couch/sectional for in here.  When the floor was having it's issues, I really didn't want to buy anything if it was going to get ruined.  But once I figured that out, it was time to start talking seating in there again.  I acquired a couch from storage that I could use.  I went and checked it out.  I spent an afternoon cleaning off the couch, vacuuming and scrubbing it with soapy water cuz it was filthy.  But once it was clean I brought it into the room, it didn't look half bad!  I mean, it wasn't the color I wanted to go with.  But it's actually a really comfortable couch!


Since I intended on a sectional, I had 4 pillows.  I know, this is overkill for one couch.  But I'm also trying to tone-down the brown of the couch as well as put some more color besides white and brown into the room.

Now that the couch/ottoman were in, I knew how much space I had for side tables.  I got an email from Wayfair about a furniture sale.  I scrolled through and found a pair of tables with an industrial vibe for $118- plus I had a $10 coupon.  I couldn't beat $108 with free shipping for two tables made out of steel.  They were ALMOST exactly what I wanted.  You'll get what I'm saying in a sec.  I have a brownish floor, a brown ceiling, a brown fireplace, a brown couch.....


The tables came in with this off-colored top and shelf.  They don't look good at all.  But I LOVE the metal frames and I can't find those for under $108 anywhere.  I lucked out on that deal.  And it wouldn't be ME if I didn't have to change them somehow, right?  The plan is to either find a piece of stone for them- marble, faux marble ceramic, something pretty and white.  Or to cut my own real wood and stain it the same as the ceiling color.  We'll probably end up doing that since they are 22" square and all of the pre-cut tiles are either 18" or 24" and I'm really not trying to spend a fortune on side tables.  If I'm going with marble, I'm renovating my kitchen counter tops for crying out loud.

You can also see the lamps I went with.  Again, I am trying to go with the industrial, farmhouse vibe here.  They have a soft, amber glow with the Edison bulb and that was really what I was looking for.  This room is for relaxing.  If I need a bright light, I have the ceiling fan light.  When I am sitting in this room in the evening it's to relax and chill out.  Half of the time I don't even turn on a light.  With the blinds up, the light from the moon outside is enough to light it up.  Most times I also have the living room lights on so that comes through the sliding door as well.

Once thing I realized after getting all of the windows in- which really was intentional- was that there is very little wall space in here.  I wanted it to have as much window surface area as possible- since when it was a screen porch, I had a great view with no wall obstruction on the top half.  I didn't want to look at walls, I wanted to see outside.  Well by doing that, you can see there isn't hardly any wall space for artwork.   Really the only space is the wall that the slider is on- there is about 2 ft of space on each side of it.  There is also a little bit of space on the wall behind the couch as well, between the windows.  Other than that I have about 4-6 inches of space everywhere else.  For someone who really isn't into WHITE WALLS, there is an awful lot of white in this room.  Again, intentional for that farmhouse vibe I wanted.  But my word, there's a lot.


OH- another problem with the side tables?  Can you see how the top board grain goes the exact opposite direction of the bottom shelf?  Both do this.  Drives me NUTS.  They were designed this way- it's not as simple as rotating them 90 degrees and having them both go the same way.  There are metal, pre-drilled casings that force them to be that way.

Anyway- back to the artwork.  I have searched and searched and finally found something that will work.  Except they are WHITE.  Go figure, right?  But nothing a little DIY can't fix.  Stay tuned.

Going back to the first photo of the screened porch to this?  Make my heart happy!  I love this room.  So much better than what it was.  And SUCH A DIFFERENCE!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIY Mason Jar Oil Burner

Almost Finished Newly Renovated Kitchen....Almost

There Must Be Something About This Color