Scrap Wood Shoe Rack

Decided to finally get a project done that I've been thinking about for quite a while.  But it's not a cute or pretty or even all that great of a project.  So it's always been pushed back on the list of things to do since I won't really get major satisfaction over this one.  But........ now that I've finished it I do have a little bit of satisfaction. 

After removing all of the bases from the master closet I piled them in the garage and let them sit there.  Today I unscrewed everything and put the wood into a pile. 


I grabbed two boards that were the same height- about 4 ft- and gave them angled cuts on both the top and bottom.  This was really just to not have a sharp edge and make it a little more aesthetically pleasing. 


Then I took the longest remaining board and cut it into 20" pieces and attached to the back side of the two tall boards.  The sides and the back pieces are all the same size- 1" by 4". 



Then I grabbed a 1" X 6" piece and cut it to the same length as the back pieces.  Unfortunately I only was able to get 3 pieces so the bottom "shelf" went back to a 1" X 4".  Oh well.  I fit those boards about 3" beneath the back pieces, screwed them in with one screw on each side, and then tapped the unscrewed side up to create an angle. 




I really just eye-balled the angles of each of the boards.  There was no "to scale diagram" for this project.  I completely winged it. 

Once this was done- I brought it into the laundry room to make sure that it actually fit where I intended.  It's going in between the wall and the water tank and it's pretty skinny.  I needed to make sure the height wasn't too high as well.  It fit perfectly.  Yay for guestimating and eye-balling. 

This is typically what this area looks like.  Actually some of the shoes/sandals had been put away so it's kid of cleaner than normal.  But I enter my house right there through the aqua door and I kick off my shoes the minute I walk into the laundry room.  It's always been a collect-all. 


I mean, nothing to see here.  No fire hazard near here.  Don't know what you're talking about. 

I cleaned the area up, attached the bracket to the wall and onto the back of the rack, and tested it out. 




It serves it's purpose.  Functional. 

I took it back into the garage and spray painted it.  Again, nothing fancy happening here. 



I chose Oil Rubbed Bronze- #1 because I wanted a darker color since the shelves are going to get dirty.... they are shoes shelves after all and #2 because this was the color I had enough of leftover. 

Once it was dried, I brought it in and re-hung it.  I put some soft furniture pads on the bottom on each side just so if it moves it won't scratch up the wall too much. 



Then I added the shoes and sandals. 



And viola!  Done.  And the floor is clear!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIY Mason Jar Oil Burner

Almost Finished Newly Renovated Kitchen....Almost

There Must Be Something About This Color