My Attempt at Abstract Art

I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend!  I finished up a project this weekend that I mentioned in the last post.  But first- the Pinspiration photos.  

I knew I didn't want to put the old frames with hot pink mattes back up in the hallway after I repainted it.  As I was scrolling through Pinterest, I kept seeing this black and white abstract art in my feed.  Finally I clicked on it and saw a few others like it.  See below.  






They look simple enough to recreate, right?  I mean, I'm no artist and I'm not going to post mine to sell for $904.  But I figured I could at least attempt it on an old canvas I had and if it sucked, well, I'd probably still hang it just like I did the macramé thing.  HAH!  

The canvas I have was originally from the upstairs loft when it was a totally different color scheme.  Apparently I was on acid when I decorated the room with this color combo.  Tragic.  


The canvas is 30" by 48" so rather large.  It is damaged from being tossed around in a storage container- which you can see in the top right.  But it's free so I figured I'd use it.  

I started by painting over the stripes with white.  LOTS OF WHITE.  



Then came time to actually paint the canvas.  I chose the navy gray that I used on the front spare room furniture.  I had a few test pots with different colors I could have used.  But at the end of the day- I wanted this to tie into the upstairs living room- which is gray and navy.  Here is the canvas after I slapped some paint on it.  


I thought it came out pretty cool- it definitely looks better in person than in this photo.  Probably the angle.  But since it wasn't awful enough to just toss it in the trash, I ran to the store to get my go-to wood for the frame.  Today I cut it down, built it and stained it dark walnut.  Shocker, right?  


Once the stain was dry enough, I brought it into the kitchen to see if it fit and how it looked.  


Again- you can't really tell from this angle.  So how about I show you standing up?  


You like?  And below is where it's hung upstairs.  It fits that space perfectly (if not SLIGHTLY too wide with the light switch there).  




Basically- for just over $10, I made something close to something someone else is selling for 100 times that.  Crazy.  Again- I'm no artist.  But I think for my first attempt, I did a pretty good job.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIY Mason Jar Oil Burner

Almost Finished Newly Renovated Kitchen....Almost

There Must Be Something About This Color