It's Raining Lights!

Hi All!!
Did you have a relaxing Labor Day weekend?  I was so lazy.  I'm not even going to lie.  Saturday I didn't get out of bed until 5pm.  Not.  Kidding.  I mean, I wasn't sleeping the entire time.  I woke up at 9:30am and started reading one of my new books.  It got good so I kept reading.  Before I knew it I was halfway through.  So why stop then?  Anywho- 8 hours later I finally made it downstairs to get some breakfast- I mean dinner.  Told you.  Lazy.

But I made up for it Sunday and today.  I went running and started two of the new 30 day workout challenges.  It's a new group that I joined.  They already did one of these last month so I'm doubling up and doing this months- Ab & Squat Challenge along with last months- Arms Challenge.  It's been fun so far- you know- all two days of it.  Then I added in to Sexy Dance workout on demand and let me tell you.  There's a whole lot of sexy going on in this house.  Thank god I keep my blinds closed.  I wouldn't be able to keep the neighbors away.

But I digress.  Back to more lights.  Another project on the list when my dad was here was to add additional lights into my master bathroom.  I kept telling him that I basically take a shower in the dark.  I'm sure he thought I was exaggerating.  Until he went up there and saw for himself.  I do not lie.  Here are some before shots.


Here is where you walk in from the bedroom.  While it is a master bathroom, I will say it's a TINY master bathroom.  I changed out the original light fixture a while back but it didn't help the other side of the room.  See, originally my shower stall was supposed to be a linen closet.  But I opted to separate the tub and shower- moving the shower into the space where the closet should have been.  Which was a great choice and I don't regret doing that.  However, you would have thought that they might have added a light into that upgrade cost.  Cuz this is how I take my showers.  In the dark.



Do you see where the light stops?  Basically no light gets past the front of the shower door.  It's kind of awful.

So my solution a while back was to purchase a new vent fan with a light- which I did over 6 months ago.  It was simple, cute and on sale.  Score!  Here it was on display in the store.


Well Miss Wendy and I were hanging out in the bathroom a few months ago like most normal people do and got to talking about my lighting situation.  I had thought about this but then Wendy brought it up as well.  See the placement of the existing vent fan?


It's kind of in line with the shower wall.  Which led us to believe that not a lot of light was going to make it into the shower stall.  Dang it.  So she suggested putting a pot light in the actual shower.  See, this is why I keep her around.  So I called up my electrician dad and asked him how difficult it would be.  He really should just stop answering the phone when I call.  Seriously.

Well he asked me a couple of questions about how I'd want it to turn on and my thoughts were to just have it link to the vent fan/light and he was like- oh that'll be suuuuuuuuper easy.  Or at least that's what I heard him say.  It would have been much more difficult if I said that I wanted them not to turn on together.  So by doing it this way he could just tap into the electrical that was already up there for the existing fan, connect the new vent fan with the light to the new pot light and VOILA!  Easy peasy right?

So while we were out shopping at Menard's we picked up a wet pot light (specific for places that are going to get wet- duh- or have moisture around them).  The LED pot light was normally over $59 if I'm remembering correctly and was on sale for $24.99.  So we went with that one.  And one of the days that I was at work my Daddy-O started working.

Aside from it being July/August and having to go up into my crawl space it seemed like a pretty straight forward and simple project.  I'll let him speak for himself though- after he gains back the 23 pounds that he sweated out up there.

So when I came home my aunt was so excited to tell me that he got it done- and we headed up to the bathroom to check it out.  Seriously, aside from the patio, this was the only other thing that I really REALLY wanted to get done while they were here.  I could have taken everything else off of the long list and been totally satisfied.  This was something that was a big issue for me. Be prepared to be wowed.  Seriously- this is exciting stuff people.

Let me remind you of the before again.


And here it is now.


Before:


After:


Huge difference right?  I mean, it's not like I WANT to see myself in the shower or the scum that had formed on the walls that I thought I was cleaning.  Ew.  I'll spare you those pictures.  But it is nice to be able to see that I actually am shaving the hair off my armpits. TMI?  Anyway, one more shot of the vent fan and light.


Oh and one more thing to tell- the new vent fan is one of those whisper fans.  Have you heard of them?  OMG.  Best thing ever.  OK maybe not "ever."  But the difference in the noise level is ridiculous.  You can't even hear it running.  Ah-mazing stuff here people.  It really is the simple things in life.

So what do you think?  Huge transformation for about $150 and 23 pounds.  :)  Love you Dad.  And now Mars can see me showering.  It really is that bright.  I believe my dad said, "There's no way you can bitch about the light in there now!"

K- my guests are going to arriving for a little cook out shortly.  So time to start the grill!!  Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIY Mason Jar Oil Burner

Almost Finished Newly Renovated Kitchen....Almost

There Must Be Something About This Color