Kitchen Remodel Part 4- Bottom Cabinets

Oh hey everyone!  This is starting to feel like the remodel that will never end.  But I'm definitely seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.  Finally. 

I started working on the bottom cabinets when I started on the front of the island.  That was August 4th.  I got the smallest, skinniest cabinet sanded and painted that day.  That's the one to the left of the dishwasher.  I also sanded and painted the slightly larger cabinet that is to the left of the refrigerator.  Basically, the two outer cabinets in the row of bottom cabinets.  Now, we are talking the ACTUAL cabinets.  Not the doors or drawer fronts.  Let's not get carried away here.   



Ten days later I started on the middle bank of cabinets.  This consists of two doors underneath the sink, one where the trash is, and one for serving platters and bowls.  I used the orange paint remover to assist since I didn't want to sand all of the paint off INSIDE the house and have dust everywhere.  It worked pretty well. 


We are talking about the four doors on the right side of the above picture.  Those cabinets.  Below is what they looked like after scraping off the paint remover.  Not too bad. 



Below is what it looked like after sanding.  Very nice. 


Then I had to go to work.  Ugh work.  Always getting in the way of my fun. 

Four days later I had time to paint.  YAY! 


Then a month went by.  More than a month actually. 

When I sanded and painted the island doors, I also did the same for the skinny cabinet door.  So that one has been done since Sept. 23.  A little over a week ago I sanded the drawer fronts and got them installed.  It was starting to come together.  It ALMOST looked like a kitchen again. 



Only thing left to finish is the 5 doors.  I had a long talk with myself this past Thursday.  I'm starting to get really busy at work- like really busy.  So I don't have a lot of time on the weekends to get the doors sanded and painted.  I gave myself a deadline of this upcoming weekend- as in by the 13th.  I needed to give myself a deadline or else I see this project dragging on and on.  Not good. 

Last weekend I started sanding the doors.  Which I thankfully got done!  It cooled down out here and it was actually pleasant in my garage with the door open.  I barely had any boob sweat. 

On Sunday I was able to get 3 coats of paint on the fronts of the doors.  Yesterday I got two coats on the backs.  Tonight I installed them and put the handles back on.  For all you math whizzes, that's FIVE days before the deadline.  FIVE!  I love deadlines!

This is how she's looking now!




She's gorgeous!  Now the decision is do I keep the uppers white- which will still mean that I need to sand and repaint them.  Or do I paint them to match the bottoms?  I'm going to put that decision on hold and live with them for the next couple of weeks.  The plan is this weekend to paint the kitchen the new color and see if it's too much gray if I were to do the tops gray.  But I figure getting the new wall color on before making the decision on the uppers makes more sense than having to repaint freshly painted uppers because it's way too much gray.  

So painting the walls, installing the trim on the backsplash and the window molding, and caulking the window sills and molding will be what I'm working on this weekend.  Fingers crossed!  It's almost there!

Aside from the decision on the color for the uppers- do I paint the breakfast nook the same kitchen wall color or do I do a pop of color there?  I'm thinking pop of color.  But I guess we'll see!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIY Mason Jar Oil Burner

Almost Finished Newly Renovated Kitchen....Almost

There Must Be Something About This Color