It's The Final Countdown.....

So the Indianapolis 500 Festival Mini Marathon was yesterday.....



It all started out with my dear friend Sarah and I talking about running another half marathon with each other.  Since I had gone out to Colorado for the last one, she decided that we'd do one here in Indy.  Once we signed up a few other people decided that they were going to do it as well and then we forced convinced a few others claiming that it would be a good time.  Bwahhh hahaha.  Suckas!  In total there were 8 of us who were going to run- me, Sarah, Miss Wendy, Erin, Jess, Tiffany, Alicia and Kim.

Miss Wendy and I started our training in October and actually had fun- whether it was going to the gym or running outside.  All along the way- we were all sending notes of encouragement to each other and were really looking forward to the race.  In March, Jess sent me a training program that she found so we started on that rather than just winging our runs at the gym like we had been doing.

The training schedule wasn't too bad- most of the long runs were on Saturdays so it wasn't like we were rushing to the gym during the week to get our runs in.  Towards the end of the schedule I was starting to get a little burnt out from running though.  I was OVER it.  I like to run- but I like to run 3 miles.  Anything more than that it not my idea of run.  At.  All.  And yet I signed up for 13.1 miles.  Twice.  Moron.



I will also say that I am not a "runner."  I don't consider myself a runner.  I'm very slow compared to everyone else.  And by slow I mean slllllooooooooooooow.  I typically run a 12 minute mile but for longer distances it gets to be a 13 or 14 minute mile average because I end up walking some.  My goal was to finish this race in 3 hours which would be 29 minutes faster than what I finished the Denver race in.  See- I told you I am a slow runner.

About three weeks ago my mind decided that my body was done running.  I literally ran maybe 2 or 3 times the entire 3 weeks.  OVER. IT.  I bought some new sneakers thinking that might be motivation.  Nope.  Not at all.  But they are certainly cute! Holla!  My final run before the race was on Wednesday.  I broke in my new kicks and  they were so comfortable it was like I was running on clouds.  Very nice.

Unfortunately Miss Sarah was unable to make the trip as she injured her knee on a run in March and then ran on the injury in another half marathon in Utah shortly after so her knee wasn't in the best shape.  Then  Erin bowed out as she was having surgery- non-running related.  We almost lost Tiffany but she was cleared to run again about 3 weeks before the race.  So out group of 8 was down to 6.

On Friday I hosted a pasta dinner for all of us and there were 10 people at my house.  We had a yummy meal and relaxed and chatted about times and meeting places and which hospital was the closest in case I died our plans for going out after the race.  Seeing as though it was Cinco de Mayo- you know this mama was going to be in desperate need of a margarita! Or five.  It didn't matter how much in pain I was.  I was gonna get my drink on.

We got downtown yesterday at about 6:15am which was brutal.  Most of us were in the same corral so we were just chillin and  making fun of fatties people watching prior to getting into starting mode.  Kim intended to walk the race from the beginning but surprised me when she ran the first 4 miles with me.  Alicia and Wendy got stuck behind a bunch of slow people so I lost them shortly after the start.  Everyone else started ahead of us.  Fast bitches.

One thing about this race that sucked aside from the fact that it was 13.1 miles was there were too many people.  About 40,000 people ran it and it just seemed like the crowd never thinned out.  I was constantly having to dodge and weave around people in front of me.  I don't remember that happening in Denver.  This was even the case right up to the finish line.  It was starting to get super annoying because I'd get stuck behind walkers and I couldn't pass them.  The other thing that sucked was that it was hot as balls outside.  It ended up being about 85 degrees or more with the sun blazing most of the race and the humidity was at like 1000 percent.  It was brutal.  I made sure that I stayed hydrated and went under all of the misting fans and sprinklers that they had out because I didn't want to be that asshole that gets taken off the course on a stretcher.  No thank you.  And there were quite a few of those people.  Idiots.  One thing that I didn't think to do was wear sun screen.  My bad.  I'm a nice shade of hot pink today.  Lovely.  Nothing like a sexy racer-back tan line.  Roooooar.

When I hit mile 11- I was at 2 hrs 17 minutes so I had 43 minutes to run 3.1 miles to reach my goal.  Sweet!    I could SO do that!  But at that point it was so hot and I was just drained.  It literally felt like I had hit a wall.  My mind was telling me to kick it in and run the last three miles because at that point I was walking.  But no matter how many times I told myself to run, my fat ass wasn't moving any faster.  I finally kicked it into gear when I was able to see the 13 mile marker.  I ended up crossing the finish line at 3 hrs 6 mins 57 secs.  A little disappointing as I didn't reach my goal but I'm still proud of myself for knocking 22 minutes off of my previous time and also proud of myself for not dying.  And I didn't get taken off on a stretcher.   So there's that.

We all met up afterwards in the park and started comparing stories and times.  Tiffany is a beast and finished in 2 hrs 21 minutes.  Bitch.  And that's after not having trained for a couple of months.  Whatever.  She's awesome.  Jess spanked us with her 2 hrs 41 minutes.  She fucking ROCKED it.  The rest of us were right around that 3 hour mark which was awesome.  But I don't think that we ran the same race as Wendy and Alicia.

I have no idea where they went off the course but they were stopping and having BBQ sandwiches and girl scout cookies and were talking about some bar that was set up.  None of the rest of us even saw these places- never mind stopped at them.  But apparently we missed out as they were having a damn party.  But hey- as long as they were enjoying themselves- that's all that matters.  Crazy girls!

We hung out for a little while but we were super tired and sweaty and starving so we headed home.  I dropped Miss Wendy off, popped some pasta into the microwave, chatted with Sarah about the race and headed upstairs for a shower and a nap.  Wendy woke me up at about 6pm letting me know that she was on her way to pick me up so I hopped out of bed, dried my hair and threw on some clothes.  It was MARGARITA time, bitches!!!  We all met up for Mexican and it was a yummy dinner.  We found out that Wendy and Alicia are now in love with each other.  It was quite comical.  They were making googly eyes at each other from across the table.  "You inspired me."  "No.  You inspired ME."  "No you were so much fun to run with."  "No you made it so much fun."  And on and on and on.  I thought they were going to excuse themselves to go make out.

The one funny part of the night was this chick from another table was clearly wasted out of her mind.  She walked by us at one point and was doing the put-one-foot-in-front-of-the-other-and-no-one-will-know-I'm-drunk-walk.  Umm yeah honey- it wasn't working for you.  At first I thought that maybe she had like 3 inch heels on that she was trying to not fall in.  Ummm not so much.  Homegirl had on some crocs. Between the crocs and the mom-khakis you know she was out for a night on the town.  Living the dream.  On her way back past us we were all staring at her and she was so focused it was comical.  Her eyes were totally glazed over.  That poor husband of hers.  You know she spent the night with her head in the toilet.

Anyway- we didn't stay out long.  We were all starting to get sore and I just wanted to crawl into my big comfy bed.  I wasn't too sore this morning.  I headed out to mow my lawn then headed over to Wal-Mart for a few things including 4 bags of mulch.  I finished up some of the outside landscaping and came in for a shower and more spaghetti for dinner.  The only thing that really hurts on me is the sun burn.  And it didn't help that I spent the entire day outside in the sun as well.  I do have a really sore muscle in the arch of my right foot.  Other than that I think consuming lots of alcohol consistently taking Advil has helped.

You know what else is going to help?   Pie.  That's right.  I just took a pie out of the oven.  I'm going to go to town on it.  Don't judge me.  I burned 15,000 calories yesterday.  I deserve it.  It's going to be the best tasting pie I've ever taken out of the box and popped into the over.  Yum.  Love that Sara Lee.

Comments

  1. I think I'm losing a toe nail....ew gross. So proud of you guys. It was fun. I couldn't walk for 2 days...maybe that's why I was supposed to train...hmm.

    Anyway, I think the next blog should be the "virtual goodie bag" and lack thereof of anything goodie in it! Just sayin'

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Only comment if you are going to tell me how awesome I am. If you don't, I will hunt you down and cut a bitch.

Popular posts from this blog

DIY Mason Jar Oil Burner

Almost Finished Newly Renovated Kitchen....Almost

There Must Be Something About This Color