Beth's Wood Art

Hey Guys!  So who's over this damn quarantine?  Can I get a "What What??"  I've always known I'm not one who can work from home.  I've passed on numerous jobs because of the work from home situation.  While some bosses find working from home a benefit- I personally do NOT.  I need social interaction.  I need to not see the same 4 walls for 24 hours a day.  I've been crawling up the walls for more than 3 weeks with no end in sight.  It's AWFUL. 

Anyhoo- back to the story at hand.  I built something.  I mean- I have recently built something but it's drying in my garage and needs to have the hanging things attached before I can show you guys some pictures.  But I also built something...... back in November.  And I completely forgot to post about it. 

It's almost similar to the one I built a year ago....  one I really wish I had kept for myself.  Especially right now. 


So I made some changes in the design, chose colors that would go more with Beth's kitchen, and went and bought the wood.  They are the same size- so roughly 4ft by 2ft.  I actually called the UPS store to see what size art shipping boxes they had and based the dimensions off of that box.  Which failed me in the end.  But whatever.  She got it and she says she loves it.  Fucking UPS. 

Started out with a sheet of plywood.... and played around with the wood that I have in my garage for the design.




Once I had those thicker pieces glued down, I added some gold strips and red painted pieces....



Let me tell you a little about my Soul Sister.  She and her husband love wine.  Like they go to Italy to drink wine.  I mean, they probably got for more that that, but there's a lot of wine thrown into their days.  Her kitchen is painted a deep Merlot color.  She has a dark island, granite counters with flecks of cream/tan, black and gold.  Now you see where I'm going with the color scheme. 



I used different stain colors, one a little lighter than my normal dark walnut to give it a little more variation.  Below is the finished project.  What you can't see all that well is the different heights of the wood.  It's more visible on the bottom of the piece- the third triangle up.  That little strip of gold wood is much higher than the piece below that of light stained wood.  Same as the next up gold strip, above the red.  But all of the pieces are different heights so it looks really cool up close. 



You can see a little more of the varying heights in the below shot, especially on the middle black area.  There's a bit more shadow to show the difference.   




I made it so she could hang it either direction and it would look like it was supposed to be hung that way.  I didn't attach the bracket myself, not knowing which way she'd choose, but tossed one in the box for her to make it super easy to open the box and hang it.  Nothing like getting a toy that requires batteries and not getting the batteries.  :)

And here it is in Beth's house. 


See the depth of each piece of wood from this angle below.  Super cool looking. 


You can see her Merlot wall in the above photo.  The red I chose was actually called Cabernet- so I think I did a pretty good job color matching!  I mean, wine is wine, right?  

And below is the full kitchen shot with the art work.  


It was a fun little project.  Her birthday is right around Thanksgiving so this was a combo birthday and Christmas gift.  I'm going to feel bad next year when I go back to giving her a bag of Starburst and a snarky desk accessory. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIY Mason Jar Oil Burner

Almost Finished Newly Renovated Kitchen....Almost

There Must Be Something About This Color