Chair ReDo = Quickest Project EVER!

Well I certainly didn't think that I'd get this project done quite so quickly.  But I was a girl on a mission.   This past Thursday I went to the local consignment store looking for a TV stand for the upstairs game room.  Not only did I find one but I also found this chair.


I walked by it twice.  Both times I thought to myself, "Self.  THAT would look totally cute if your house."  It was originally marked $60 but with the 25% off I paid $45 for it.  Score!



I immediately thought of the front spare room (the gray room with the yellow furniture) since there was a nook in the room just LOOKING for a chair.  And since I had just bought gray and white fabric for a future chair it just seemed like perfect timing.  Below is the fabric that I purchased last month at the same time I got the zebra print for the bombe dresser.


Sorry for the terrible shot- this fabric doesn't photo well.  But I just LOVE me some houndstooth.  Gorgeous.  And if I remember correctly the fabric was $4.99 with an additional 20% off so I picked up 3  yards of it.

The minute I got home from the consignment store and unloaded the car I started on the chair.  I had to figure out how to get the seat of the chair off and was hoping with fingers crossed that it was just screwed into the bottom of the chair.  For once, a project went my way.  Easy peasy.




The seat had just 2 screws which was fantastic.  I had to basically break the buttons on the back of the chair to get that cushion off.   But since I was changing the fabric anyway, it was OK since I'd need to get new buttons with the new fabric on them.  Here's what she looked like after I stripped all of that god awful gold velvet fabric off.


Well I didn't stop there.  I headed off to the home store to pick out paint.  On the way I couldn't decide if I was going to go simple with either a glossy white or a dark charcoal gray- to keep it simple with the rest of the room and to match the fabric.  Then I remembered a color that I had seen the last time I was there and thought I'd go that route.  After taking a pic of the two cans in the store and getting Momacita's opinion, I went with the WOW color.

I headed home with my bag-o-paint and got to work.  I put two coats of primer on the chair that night and let it cure overnight.



While that was drying in between coats, I started on the cushion.  It took me about an hour to get all of the staples off the chair bottom and get that gold fabric in the trash.  I decided that I was going to throw away the actual cushion as well and go buy new foam and batting.

On Friday we were let out of work early so I rushed home to put the first coat of paint on the chair.  I almost couldn't contain myself.  There were a few times I almost posted a pic on FB to show all of you guys what I just did!!  But I held off!  While the first coat was drying I headed over to JoAnn's to get supplies for the new cushion.  P.S. Foam is EXPENSIVE.  Who knew!?!   But either way I was still glad that I bought it because lord only knows how old that seat cushion was or what sat on it prior to me purchasing the chair.  Ew.

I cut the foam to the size of the chair bottom and put two layers of batting over it for extra cushion and then stapled it all to the bottom of the seat.  



Then it came time to do the same thing with the fabric.



After the 2nd and 3rd coat of paint had dried on the chair overnight it was time to bring her inside and see if I liked her.  Miss Wendy came over for breakfast yesterday so after we ate, I brought her inside from the garage and upstairs she went.  I put the seat cushion on her and stood back and admired my work.  Without further ado....... ta! da!




Now you should notice one thing is different.  The original back of the chair isn't attached.  I don't have a sewing machine (yet) so I wasn't able to sew the cover to that cushion and reattach it to the back.  But after I got the chair upstairs I kind of liked the fact that the cushion wasn't on it.  I had this leftover lumbar pillow from my old apartment in Florida that's been sitting in my spare closet.


So I ran in there to get it and just folded thehoundstooth fabric over over it to see what it would look like.  I actually like this look much better.




So for now there is no back to the chair.  Once I can borrow a sewing machine or buy one I will recover that pillow and tuft it with some buttons.  But until then it's just a backless chair.  What do you think?  Do you like the color?

Before:

After:

Comments

  1. Thanks Chickie!! Although you don't have to be rich to hire me. I'm about as poor as they come and I can afford me. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Only comment if you are going to tell me how awesome I am. If you don't, I will hunt you down and cut a bitch.

Popular posts from this blog

DIY Mason Jar Oil Burner

Almost Finished Newly Renovated Kitchen....Almost

There Must Be Something About This Color