Mid Century Modern TV Stand

Well hey friends!  Have a quick and easy project that I knocked out after dinner on Friday night.  Yes, I  spent my Friday night in my garage building stuff.  I'm so popular. 

So I told you last post about the condo.  Well now comes the decorating and buying pretty things part.  Believe me, I have found some seriously awesome scores for the living room.  Like- hit the jackpot. I had a pic of what the ideal living room would look like and I opened my Pinterest Living Room board and pinned a bunch of the exact style I was looking for.  

Finding the decor seemed to be too easy.  But finding the furniture?  Not so much.  I wasn't trying to spend a fortune but Mid Century Modern isn't cheap and it's not that easy to find locally.  As I was looking at inspiration photos, I came across this. 


I thought this would be perfect as a TV stand.  So I started searching more of this style.  Definitely looked like something that I could build.  Now I just needed to find the legs.  To Amazon I went! 


Ummm $22?  Yeah, sold. 

That night when I got home I went shopping for wood. 

Quality wood is kind of hard to find IN STOCK at home improvement stores.  I was looking for a more thick piece of wood to make the stand out of- but my only option was really 1" thick.  We wanted the depth to be about 18-20" deep so that limited me even more.  But I found Solid Aspen in 20" deep and 6' long- so I bought the last two.  They were about $37 each.  Then I picked up one board of the same wood in a 6" deep for the sides and middle.  

Back to Friday- I left the length at 6'- I didn't care that it might be too big for a TV.  I was thinking the TV could go more towards one side and then I can put some cute plants or a stack of books on the other side. 

I started with the bottom and attached the two sides.  I got those attached and then went to the staining part.  I cut a small piece off of the 6' board because I knew it was going to be more than I needed and tested two different stains on it.  I picked the Dark Walnut. 


Then I attached the legs and flipper her over. 


I finished staining it. 



At this point I I attached and stained the top piece.  



It's definitely not as dark at the photo above.  The lighting in my garage doesn't do it justice.  Also you can barely see the divider in the middle.  Below is a better shot. 



Not too bad for about $110 worth of material, right?  Especially when you look on furniture sites and these are going for at least $399.  It came out really really good and I think it's going to look freaking awesome in the living room.  But most importantly, I love it and that's all that matters!!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIY Mason Jar Oil Burner

Almost Finished Newly Renovated Kitchen....Almost

There Must Be Something About This Color