Wood Art

Guys- I have been obsessing lately for various pieces of wood art.  I created a board on Pinterest with all different kinds and I tried my hand at a piece a couple weeks ago.  Knowing I was decorating the  condo and knowing there was a ton of wall space, I figured it'd be a great guinea pig. 

I saw this phot and knew I'd need to try something like this.  


I think the black and white is what drew me to this one- because I can tell you it's not the burnt wood.  I actually am NOT a fan of burning wood.  I just don't like how it looks. But that's just me. 

Anyway- I really liked it and thought it was something I thought I could build.  I figured I'd try!  Doesn't hurt to try, right?  What's the worst that could happen?  I'd have a fresh pile of wood for the fire pit? 

So a couple of weeks ago I headed to Menard's to get some wood, paint, and stain.  I knew I wanted to add some green into it because I wanted green in the condo living room and I didn't want all of the green to come from plants.  I wanted it to be in the decor too. 

I picked of a 2' X 4' piece of plywood, trim for the frame, and two different widths of quarter inch boards.  I went thin because I didn't want this to be 100 lbs.  Then I got started! 



Don't pay any attention to the piece I painted green.  I just wanted to see what it looked like.  I started by finding my center point of the board and drawing a line both vertically and horizontally.  Then I just started cutting pieces. 




Once I had the majority of it cut, I started to paint and stain the pieces.  I originally thought I was going to paint the black boards, but I had a can of ebony stain and that definitely looked better!  Being able to see the wood grain makes it so much prettier.  Plus I was already painting the white and green pieces. 



Since the boards were not glued down yet, I left some overhang on each piece that I later went back and trimmed.  I wanted to make sure that I didn't cut too short.  Rather be safe than sorry.  Below is where I ended for the evening. 



I wanted to see it before I glued them down in case I didn't like it, then I could change it really quickly.  I almost tried to convince myself to take the black triangles below the green arrow portion and spray them gold.  But in the end I liked it as is. 

The next day I got started gluing the pieces down and trimming what needed to be trimmed.  It went pretty quickly.  But it sat in my garage unfinished for a couple of weeks.  Work and all getting into the way of my fun.  Ugh. 

But today, I have the day off and my goal was to get this done!  So here she is all trimmed up and framed! 



I thinks it came out awesome.  I already have plans for more.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIY Mason Jar Oil Burner

Almost Finished Newly Renovated Kitchen....Almost

There Must Be Something About This Color